- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the mango sauce:
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 egg yolk, hard-boiled
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp basil, finely shredded
For the langoustines:
- 16 langoustines
- black pepper
- 16 squares of filo pastry, each 10x10cm
- 100 g melted unsalted butter
- 32 large leaves basil
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 90 g mixed salad leaves
- 4 tbsp soy dressing
1. First make the mango sauce. Peel the mango, and then cut the flesh from the flat central stone and chop it coarsely. You should have about 100g of mango flesh.
2. Put the flesh into a food processor or blender with the hard boiled egg yolk and mayonnaise and work until smooth.
3. Press the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set the sauce aside.
4. Peel the langoustines, then make a shallow cut down the rounded back of each and remove the dark intestinal vein. Rinse the langoustines and pay dry with paper towels. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Put a filo square on the work surface and brush it with melted butter. Set a basil leaf in the centre and put a langoustine on top. Brush a little egg yolk along the edges of the filo square.
6. Fold 2 opposite sides of the square over the langoustines and press to seal. Press the ends together to seal. Wrap and seal the remaining prawns in the same way.
7. Heat a deep-fat fryer, wok or large heavy based pan of oil to 175C.
8. When the oil is hot, add the langoustines, 4 at a time. Fry for 3 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning them over a few times during frying, so that they brown evenly. Drain on paper towels.
9. When the langoustines are all cooked, turn up the heat under the pan until the oil reaches 180C.
10. Add the remaining basil leaves and fry for a few seconds until crisp, bright green and translucent; drain.
11. Toss the salad leaves in the soy dressing, and then divide between four plates, piling the leaves in a mount at the top.
12. Arrange the langoustines in filo in the centre of the plates and garnish with the fried basil. Serve immediately with the mango sauce.
Rate This Recipe