- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pasta
- 500 g semolina flour
- 500 g '00' flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 9 eggs
For the lasagna filling
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 50 g carrots, chopped into dice
- 50 g celery
- 50 g onions, chopped into dice
- 200 g unsmoked pancetta
- 1.5 kg minced meat, (mix of pork/beef/veal)
- 200 ml red wine
- 500 g tinned plum tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 aubergine, cut into segments
- 4 free range eggs
- 50 g Fior di late mozzarella
- 50 g parmigiano reggiano
- 30 g basil
- knob butter, for top of lasagna
- olive oil, for frying
For the bechamel
- 60 g butter
- 60 g flour
- 1 litres milk, warmed
- nutmeg, freshly grated for the best favour
1. For the pasta: Mix all dough ingredients together until it becomes a firm dough, and rest in fridge for a couple of hours.
2. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1mm with a rolling pin and cut into long strips before cooking in boiling water for a few mins.
3. Take out and let them cool in iced water before letting them dry on a kitchen towel.
1. For the filling: Sauté the garlic with the carrots, celery, onions and pancetta in a little olive oil until golden brown.
2. In another pan, fry three quarters of the meat until brown, add the red wine and simmer until completely evaporated.
3. Add the tomatoes, already cooked vegetables and bay leaves. Continue to simmer over a very low flame for about two hours, stirring occasionally.
4. With the remaining meat make small meatballs and put aside.
5. Coat the aubergine in 00 flour, and fry in a pan till golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
6. Cook eggs for 6 minutes in salted boiling water. Once peeled, cut them lengthways into fine pieces.
7. For the béchamel: Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and, over a medium heat, stir (using small pointed wooden spoon) vigorously to make a smooth, glossy paste. Start adding heated milk a little at a time, and stir again vigorously using a balloon whisk until sauce is smooth, glossy and creamy. Season to taste, add nutmeg. Cook for 15 minutes.
8. Spoon the meat sauce to cover bottom of a baking dish, then add some béchamel, followed by mozzarella & parmiggiano, meatballs, eggs, basil, aubergines and lastly sheets of lasagne.
9. Repeat steps to the edge of the dish, add some butter on the top layer of cheese (it should make 5 layers).
10. Cook at 185C/175C fan in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
11. Leave to rest until completely cold.
12. Put back in the oven (again at 185C/175C fan) for a further 25 minutes before serving.
Rate This Recipe