- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the ragù
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 sprigs rosemary
- 700 g minced beef
- 100 ml red wine
- 200 ml beef stock
- 600 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
For the ricotta sauce
- 2 eggs
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 200 ml cream
- 70 g parmesan, finely grated
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 8-9 fresh spinach lasagne sheets
- 150 g mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 10 leaves basil
- 40 g parmesan, finely grated
1. To prepare the ragù sauce: heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the celery, carrots and onions over a medium heat until soft. This will take about 10 minutes. Add the rosemary, garlic and continue to cook for a further 1 minute.
2. Add the beef and brown on a high heat, then pour over the wine and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Toss in the tomatoes, stock and tomato puree, season with salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 35-45 minutes. You may need to add a little more stock and check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/ fan 160C/gas 4.
4. To prepare the ricotta sauce: beat the eggs, add ricotta, cream, parmesan, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
5. To assemble: grease a 30cm x 20cm lasagne dish. Begin the layers with ragù sauce, mozzarella slices, basil leaves, lasagne sheets and the ricotta sauce. Repeat ending with the ricotta sauce.
6. Sprinkle with the grated parmesan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Rate This Recipe