- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the apple sauce
- 2 Bramley apples
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the latke
- 1 onion, (optional)
- 1 kg floury potatoes, such as King Edward
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp flour
- oil, for frying
- 24 rashers streaky bacon
- maple syrup, (optional)
1. For the apple sauce: peel, quarter and chop the apples work quickly as the air will turn them brown. Put in a pan with 100ml water. Cover and bring to the boil. Cook until the apples collapse.
2. Remove form the heat and stir in the butter and sugar.
3. For the latke: peel and grate the onion on the large hole side of a cheese grater. Peel and grate the potatoes and mix with the onion. Squeeze the mixture dry by pressing the mixture between your hands.
4. Lightly beat the eggs with a generous pinch of salt. Sift over the flour gradually, stirring until the batter is smooth. Add the potatoes and onion and stir well.
5. Heat 1cm oil in a frying pan. Drop spoonfuls of the latke mixture into the hot oil and flatten a little with the back of the spoon.
6. Lower the heat so that the pancakes cook through evenly. After 24 minutes, when the bottom is golden brown and has formed a crust, turn and cook the other side
7. While the latkes are cooking, preheat the grill. Grill the bacon until crisp.
8. Serve the latkes with the bacon and apple sauce. Drizzle with maple syrup if you want a real treat.
Rate This Recipe