- Serves: 25-30 biscuits
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 small pinches salt
- 125 g unsalted butter, diced
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 small egg, beaten
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne and salt into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the butter and sugar and rub until the butter is absorbed and the mixture has a sandy texture.
3. Mix in the syrup and enough of the beaten egg to make a fairly stiff, smooth dough. Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film. Place the dough in the fridge to firm up for at least 45 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and grease a couple of non-stick baking sheets.
5. Roll out the dough to 3mm thickness. Cut the biscuits into your desired shapes and place on the prepared baking sheets.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown then set aside to cool on the baking sheets.
7. Decorate the biscuits with piped royal icing. Store in an airtight container.
Rate This Recipe