- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight chilling
- Effort: medium
For the caramel
- 140 g lavender-infused sugar, see Cooks tip
For the flans
- 300 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 g lavender-infused sugar
- Sprigs of lavender, to decorate, optional
Tips and Suggestions
To make your own lavender infused sugar, put a couple of sprigs of dried (non-sprayed/edible) lavender into a medium kilner of sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/fan 120C/gas 1.
2. For the caramel: combine the sugar with 60ml water in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar, brushing down the sides with a wet pastry brush to prevent the mixture from crystallising, then cook over a medium-high heat until caramelised, about 10-12 minutes. Quickly and carefully pour the caramel into 6 x 150ml ramekins, dividing it evenly between them.
3. For the flans: whisk the milk, eggs, yolk and sugar in a bowl until combined, then strain through a sieve into a jug. Pour evenly into the ramekins. Place them in a tea-towel-lined roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover with foil and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until set, but still with a slight wobble in the centre. Remove the ramekins from the tin, cool to room temperature, then chill for 3 hours or ideally overnight.
4. To serve, dip the moulds in hot water to loosen them and run a knife around the outside of the crème caramel. Carefully invert onto plates and serve decorated with lavender if you wish.
Rate This Recipe