- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the cod tower
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 12 new potatoes, sliced
- 500 ml fish stock
- 500 ml full fat milk
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 x 500 g skinless cod fillets
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 small handful chanterelle mushroom
For the sauce
- 500 ml poaching liquid
- 2 tbsp whipped cream
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- vine cherry tomatoes, confit in olive oil
- sekura salad
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/130 fan/gas 2.
2. For the cod tower: blanch the leeks and new potatoes in salted boiling water for 5 minutes, then refresh in cold water. Drain, and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, pour in the fish stock and the milk, then add the thyme, crushed garlic and crushed peppercorns and sea salt. Poach the cod fillet in the liquid over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Bring the poaching mixture to the boil and cook for 1 minute, then check to see if the fish is cooked (it should flake easily). Remove the pan from the heat and allow the fish to sit in the poaching liquid for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the cod from the pan and flake the fish into a bowl.
6. Pour the double cream into a small saucepan, reduce by half over a medium heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in the blanched leeks and half of the chanterelle mushrooms.
7. Using a chefs ring on a small sheet of aluminium foil, spoon in a layer of blanched new potatoes, followed by a layer of creamed leeks and mushrooms, pressing down slightly. Spoon over a layer of cod flakes, then another layer of creamed leeks and mushrooms, finishing with a topping of potatoes.
8. Transfer the ring carefully (the foil on the bottom will help keep the filling in the ring) into a papillote made from aluminium foil, and place it in the oven for 6 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
9. For the sauce: pour 500ml of the cod poaching liquid in a small saucepan, reducing by half over a high heat. Stir in the whipped cream, tarragon and the rest of the mushrooms.
10. Remove the ring from the oven and place in the middle of a plate. Carefully lift the ring away to reveal the layered cod tower, then pour around the sauce and serve with sekura salad and confit vine cherry tomatoes.
Rate This Recipe