- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus setting time
- Effort: medium
For the fajitas
- 175 g plain flour
- pinches salt
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp corn oil, for frying
- 250 ml soured cream, to serve
For the filling
- 6 tbsp corn oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 800 g cookedred kidney beans
- 1/2 bunches coriander, chopped
- tabasco, to taste
- 1 lime, juice only
For the salsa
- 4 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- small bunch coriander, chopped
- 1/2 red onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp corn oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
1. To make the fajitas, sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the water and mix to a firm dough, adding a little more water if necessary.
2. Knead the dough until smooth, then cut into 6 pieces and shape into balls. Roll each ball out to make a circle with a 17.5cm diameter.
3. Heat the corn oil in a frying pan and cook each fajita on both sides, until puffed and golden, then immediately remove from the heat.
4. For the filling, pour 4 tablespoons of the corn oil into a saucepan and fry the onion, chilli and garlic until softened.
5. Add the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Mash the beans roughly with the back of a fork, adding a little more corn oil, the chopped coriander, a dash of Tabasco and the lime juice. Stir well and remove from the heat.
6. To make the salsa, mix together the tomatoes, coriander, onion and oil. Stir in the chilli (if using).
7. To serve, lay a fajita on a plate, spoon over a quarter of the bean filling, add a dollop of sour cream, drizzle with a little salsa and repeat with 5 layers of fajitas. Top with a final fajita and press down firmly.
8. Top with the remaining salsa, place in the fridge and leave until it has set. Cut into wedges and serve.
Rate This Recipe