- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the white sauce
- 300 ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 20 g butter
- 20 g flour
For the vegetable lasagne
- 2 large carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 turnip
- 1 beetroot
- 1 potato
- 1 courgette
- 25 g butter, plus extra for greasing
For the crumble topping
- 4 slices stale sourdough, bread, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced and cooked
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts
- 1 small handful fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- chargrilled baby gem lettuce
- olive oil and vinegar salad dressing
1. For the white sauce: place the milk into a pan with the bay leaf and thyme and bring to a simmer. Take off the heat immediately and set aside to infuse for 10-15 minutes, then remove the herbs.
2. Melt the butter in another pan over a low heat until foaming, then quickly stir in the flour. Gradually add the milk to the pan, whisking continuously to prevent any lumps from forming. When all of the milk has been incorporated, simmer the sauce for 4-5 minutes, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Strain through a fine sieve and keep warm until needed.
3. For the crumble topping: place the chopped stale bread, butter, shallots, salt, freshly ground black pepper, hazelnuts and herbs into a food processor and pulse until the mixture becomes rough breadcrumbs. Set aside in the fridge until needed.
4. For the vegetable lasagne: preheat the oven to 150C/gas mark 2.
5. Peel all of the vegetables and onion and thinly slice on a mandoline.
6. Brush an ovenproof dish with a little butter, then layer the vegetables over alternately. Season each layer with salt and freshly ground black pepper. When all of the vegetables have been layered and the dish is full, brush the top with melted butter.
7. Bake the lasagne for 35 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, then remove from the oven. Turn the oven temperature up to 190C/gas mark 5.
8. Carefully turn out the lasagne and slice into individual wedges. Place the wedges on a baking tray and pour a spoonful of white sauce over each and sprinkle over the crumble mixture. Place the tray into the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the crumble topping is golden-brown and crisp.
9. To serve, dress the chargrilled Baby Gem lettuces with olive oil and vinegar and pile onto serving plates. Place a wedge of vegetable lasagne alongside and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe