- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg waxy potatoes, such as Maris piper, Belle de Fontenay or Roseval
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 300 ml double cream
- 425 ml milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Peel the potatoes, wipe them dry and slice them thinly lengthways on a mandolin.
3. Rub the garlic lightly over a large flame-proof casserole dish and then sprinkle with salt.
4. Grease the dish liberally with some of the butter and arrange overlapping slices of potato in the dish, seasoning between each layer.
5. Mix the eggs with the cream and milk and pour this mixture over the potatoes to cover them. Dot with the remaining butter.
6. Place the casserole dish over a medium heat until the liquid comes to the boil, then place in the oven and cook for 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, almost all the liquid has been absorbed and a rich golden crust has formed on the surface.
7. To serve: serve direct from the dish, while very hot.
Rate This Recipe