- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the filo purses
- 2-2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 50 g Arborio risotto rice
- 30 ml dry white vegetarian wine
- 325-375 ml light vegetable stock
- 60 g chestnuts, (vacuum packed), roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp soya cream
- 300 g filo pastry, cut into 24 x 12cm squares (ready-made frozen pastry defrosted according to packet)
For the relish
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 pinches caster sugar, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. To make the relish: roast the pepper (about ½ hour) remove seeds and skin, chop roughly.
3. Mix the pepper with the ginger and sugar, blend well. For a finer sauce, add a little water and put mixture through a sieve. Set aside
4. For the filo purses: heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sized saucepan and lightly fry the leeks until soft and golden. Stir in the rice ' coat well. Add the wine, bring to the boil. Add 175ml warm stock, enough to cover rice.
5. Cover the pan and simmer on a low heat until liquid is absorbed.
6. Add 175ml of warm stock and the chestnuts and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the rice is just cooked (add extra stock if it starts to stick to the pan).
7. Stir in the soya cream and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside until needed.
8. Using the remaining oil, lightly brush one filo square, place another one on top to form an eight pointed star and brush the tips lightly.
9. Place 2 tsp of the mixture in the middle and pull up the edges of the pastry to form a purse. Repeat until you have 12.
10. Place on a baking tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Place 3 purses on each plate. Serve a good tablespoon of relish with each portion of purses.
© Sarah Kearns 2008, recipe created for Cordon Vert. Visit www.cordonvert.co.uk
to find more recipes.
Rate This Recipe