- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 350 g shortcrust pastry
- 225baby g leeks, thinly sliced
- 25 g butter
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 175 g undyed smoked haddock
- 175 g cod
- small bunch of chives, snipped
- 3 large eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
For the custard:
- 3 eggs
- 284 ml carton double cream
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Roll out the pastry to line a 25 cm tart tin, cover the pastry with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place on a baking sheet and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. Blanch the leeks for 5 minutes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, drain well.
3. Heat the butter in a frying pan and add leeks, fry over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes. Add curry powder and stir together for a further minute.
4. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil add the bay leaf, peppercorns, haddock and cod, and then simmer uncovered for 4 minutes until just cooked through. Remove the fish and leave to cool. Break the fish into chunky flakes, discarding any skin and bones.
5. Lower the oven temperature to 170°C/gas 3.
6. Place the leeks in the tart shell, sprinkle over the chives and the flaked haddock and cod.
7. Scatter the chopped boiled eggs evenly over the top.
8. Make the custard by whizzing the eggs and the cream together in a blender. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Ladle the custard into the tart case and sprinkle over the Parmesan.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until just set and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly, and then serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe