- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 20 mins resting
- Effort: easy
- 2.7 kg leg of lamb, French-trimmed and with the H-bone removed
- 100 g jar of anchovy fillets, in oil, drained
- a bunch of rosemary
- a bunch of marjoram
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- sea salt and black peppercorns
- olive oil, to mix
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas 6.
2. Make small incisions in the lamb all over. Fill the incisions with the anchovy fillets.
3. Take the rosemary stalks and insert them up the length of the leg bone.
4. Finely chop the rosemary leaves and marjoram. Using a pestle and mortar pound together the rosemary, marjoram, garlic, sea salt, peppercorns and enough olive oil to make a thick paste.
5. Smear the rosemary paste all over the leg, place it on a rack in a roasting tin and roast it for 30 minutes.
6. After this time reduce the heat to 180°C and cook for a further 45 minutes for a medium rare roast.
7. Remove the lamb from the oven, cover with foil and rest for 20 minutes.
Rate This Recipe