- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus marinating and chilling
- Effort: medium
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in pieces
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- seeds from 3 cardamom pods
- 150 ml lemon juice, (2-3 lemons)
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 onions, hopped
- 300 ml low-fat plain yogurt
- slices lemons, to garnish
- wild rice, to serve
1. Using a coffee grinder or pestle and mortar, grind together the cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, peppercorns and cardamom. Mix with the lemon juice, chilli powder and cumin seeds.
2. Slash the chicken breasts with a sharp knife. Smear them with the spice mixture, rubbing it well into the slashes. Sprinkle with salt and leave to stand for 1 hour.
3. Mix together the ginger, garlic and half the onion. Add to the yoghurt. Spread the mixture over the chicken pieces. Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for 5 hours or overnight.
4. Remove from the fridge. Preheat the grill to high.
5. Grill the chicken for about 20-30 minutes, basting frequently with the marinade and turning halfway through the cooking time.
6. Transfer to a warm serving dish. Garnish with lemon slices and remaining onion.
7. Serve with wild rice.
Rate This Recipe