- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
- 250 g shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
For the filling
- 6 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 ml lime juice, strained
- 100 ml lemon juice, strained
- zest of 3 lemons
- zest of 2 limes
- 200 ml double cream
- 300 g sugar
For the meringue
- 3 large egg whites
- 130 g sugar
- 1 tsp lime juice
Tips and Suggestions
I find it easier to use flan rings, they are easier to remove at a later stage.
1. To make the pie; generously butter a 28cm flan ring.
2. Roll out the dough and line the flan ring, pushing the dough into the sides. Neaten the edges and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
4. Remove the flan ring from the fridge and lay a sheet of foil on the base. Fill with baking beans or rice .
5. Cook for about 15 minutes until slightly golden around the edges. Remove the beans and foil and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, until golden.
6. Quickly brush the pastry with egg white; this seals any holes in the pastry which may allow the filling to escape. Allow to cool.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 140C/gas 1
8. To make the filling; whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl, then add the lemon and lime juices and zest, followed by the cream.
9. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and cook for about 45 minutes until just set; it must have a slight movement in the centre. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
10. To make the meringue; put the sugar into a heavy-based pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved completely.
11. Increase the heat and continue cooking until the sugar reaches 110C- 120C. Test by dropping a little of the mixture into chilled water. When gathered between your finger and thumb it will form a soft ball.
12. Quickly whisk the egg whites to soft peaks
13. Add the hot sugar syrup, whisking constantly Continue whisking after all the sugar syrup has been added and whisk in a teaspoon of lime juice. Continue whisking until the mixture is cool and thick.
14. Cover the pie with the meringue and carefully blow torch the top to give a burnt look.
Rate This Recipe