- Serves: Makes 2 loaves
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hrs rising, plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 400 g plain flour
- 100 g rye flour
- 15 g salt
- 60 g butter
- 60 g sugar
- 30 g yeast
- 300 ml water
- zest of 5 lemons
- zest of 6 oranges
1. Place the white and rye flours, salt, butter, sugar, yeast and water in a bowl.
2. Use your hands to bring together the ingredients to form a dough, mixing it for 3 minutes.
3. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured working surface. Add in the lemon and orange zest and work them well into the dough.
4. Return the dough to the mixing bowl and set aside for 1 hour to rise.
5. This mixture makes 2 small loaves. To form 2 loaves, divide the dough into 2 equal parts and place on a floured working surface.
6. Shape each portion of dough into a ball shape and push your finger through the middle of the dough until you can feel the working surface underneath.
7. Cut across the top of the loaf several times with a sharp knife.
8. Place the loaves on a lined baking sheet, spacing them well apart, and set aside for 1 hour to rise.
9. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
10. Bake the loaves for 25 minutes until golden brown.
11. Cool on a wire rack.
Rate This Recipe