- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest only
- 120 ml passion fruit juice, see Cook's Tips
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 50 g plain flour, sifted
- 250 ml milk
- clotted cream, and frozen mixed berries, to serve (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
You will need about 16 ripe passion fruit to get 120ml of juice. Halve the fruit and scoop out the seeds and flesh into a sieve set over a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to rub them firmly around the sieve to extract as much juice as possible.
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Butter an ovenproof baking dish, about 23cm in diameter.
2. Tip the butter, sugar and lemon zest into a food processor and blend until pale and fluffy (alternatively you can use handheld electric beaters or beat the ingredients by hand using a wooden spoon).
3. With the motor running, gradually add the lemon juice followed by the passion fruit juice, egg yolks, flour and milk, until you have a smooth batter.
4. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks then fold these gently into the batter.
5. Gently pour the batter into the baking dish then sit the baking dish in a slightly larger baking tray. Half-fill the baking tray with hot water to make a bain-marie then transfer to the oven.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top is firm and golden-brown and there is a runny curd at the bottom of the dish. Remove the dish from the baking tray and serve the pudding hot, with clotted cream and frozen berries on the side, if you like.
Rate This Recipe