- Serves: Makes 12
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cupcakes
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 125 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 125 g self-raising flour, sifted
For the buttercream and decoration
- 80 g butter, softened
- 250 g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- yellow gel food colouring, (optional)
- juice of half a lemons, (left over from cupcake batter)
- 50 g black sugarpaste
Tips and Suggestions
To make the buttercream you can use an electric mixer, although I prefer using the food processor to stop clouds of icing sugar escaping.
An alternative decoration to the black sugarpaste blossom shaped would be candied lemon slices.
1. For the cupcakes: pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12 hole baking tin with paper cases.
2. Using an electric mixer with a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Next beat in the eggs, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
3. Fold in the flour a third at a time until just combined. Fold in half of the lemon juice taking care not to over mix.
4. Evenly spoon the batter into cases, two thirds full. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out cleanly.
5. Leave the cakes in the tins for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
6. For the buttercream: beat the butter until very soft, then gradually beat in the icing sugar and poppy seeds. Add a dab of yellow food colouring for a brighter yellow if you wish.
7. Beat in the remaining lemon juice a little at a time until you have a soft piping consistency. If the weather is warm you may need extra icing sugar to stiffen it. Decant the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
8. When the cakes are completely cool, pipe swirls of buttercream on top.
9. For the decoration: knead the black sugarpaste until soft. Roll out and stamp out blossoms using shaped cutters. Affix the blossom shapes to the buttercream whilst still soft.
Like this? Take a look at lots more cupcake recipes.
Rate This Recipe