- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the sponge
- 200 g butter, softened
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 200 g self-raising flour
For the filling and topping
- 150 ml double cream
- 100 g lemon curd
- 3 small lemons, juice only
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted, for dusting
1. Grease and line the bottom of a 23cm springform or deep loose-bottomed 23cm round cake tin. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Using an electric whisk, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs gradually, then gently fold in the flour using a metal spoon.
3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, smooth the top then bake for 30-40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the tin, discard the lining paper then leave to cool on a wire rack.
4. Softly whip the cream for the filling, then lightly fold it with the lemon curd to give a marbled effect.
5. When the cake is cool, cut it in half horizontally and sandwich back together with the creamy-curd mix.
6. Prick the top of the cake all over with a cocktail stick then slowly pour over the lemon juice, letting it soak in as you go. Dust with the 2 tablespoons icing sugar.
Rate This Recipe