- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 65 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 135 g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 135 g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 unwaxed lemons, finely grated zest and juice only
For the white chocolate icing
- 150 g white chocolate, chopped, plus extra, grated, to decorate
- 75 ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C/gas 3 and line a non-stick 2-lb. (17 x 9-cm) loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix well with an electric whisk. Add the eggs and whisk for a couple of minutes until pale and fluffy. Gently fold in the flour and baking powder. Finally, stir in the lemon zest and juice until well mixed.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. When its ready, the cake will be a rich golden colour and springy to the touch. Remove it from the oven and leave to cool before icing.
4. For the white chocolate icing; put the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Put the cream in a saucepan and gently bring to the boil over low heat, stirring frequently. Pour into the mixing bowl and whisk until you get a smooth cream. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes, then refrigerate for 15 minutes to stiffen.
5. Spread the icing on top of the cake and sprinkle some grated chocolate over it.
From The Popina Book of Baking by Isidora Popovic, published by Ryland Peters & Small, photography by Peter Cassidy © Ryland Peters & Small
Rate This Recipe