- Serves: 1 cake
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes plus cooling time
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 5 eggs
- 350 g caster sugar
- 150 ml double cream
- 275 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp apricot glaze or apricot jam, if using jam, thin it with a little water
- clotted cream, to serve
For the icing
- 250 g icing sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only
Tips and Suggestions
Please note this recipe requires a 30 x 10 x 8cm loaf tin - which is deeper than a standard 2lb loaf tin.
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and grease a 30 x 10 x 8cm loaf tin.
2. Heat the butter in a small saucepan until melted, then remove from the heat and leave to cool a little.
3. Mix the eggs, sugar and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer at top speed for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
4. Fold in the cream and lemon zest.
5. Sieve the flour and baking powder together and blend into the mixture.
6. Stir in the melted butter, folding the mixture carefully.
7. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour. Check that a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake, if not leave for longer.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and leave in the tin to cool.
9. Remove the cooled cake from the tin and brush all over with apricot jam or glaze.
9. For the icing: combine the icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and stir until smooth. Spread over the top and sides of the cake.
10. To serve, cut the cake into slices and accompany with a dollop of clotted cream.
Rate This Recipe