- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling and churning
- Effort: easy
- 200 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice, (4-5 lemons)
- 2 lemons, grated zest
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 150 g caster sugar
For the ice cream
- 425 ml whipping cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 175 g caster sugar
- 200 ml low-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 bought meringue nests, broken into coarse chunks
1. First of all make the lemon syrup: in a bowl mix the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Then in a small saucepan dissolve the sugar with the remaining lemon juice over a low heat (5-6 minutes), add the zest, bring up to simmering point and cook for 5 minutes. Pour this over the cornflour mixture, return it all to the pan and, still keeping the heat low, cook for 2 more minutes, stirring, until thickened. Then cool and leave on one side till required.
2. Now make the custard base for the ice cream. Place the cream in a saucepan and heat gently. Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together, then, when the cream reaches simmering point, pour it over the other ingredients, still whisking, and return the whole lot to the saucepan and bring back to a bare simmer, continuing to whisk. Pour the thickened custard into a bowl, cover with clingfilm placed directly on the surface of the custard and leave on one side until cold.
3. When the mixture is cold, combine it with the yoghurt, then pour this into a 2 litre polythene freezer box(20 x 20 cm x 6 cm deep), cover and freeze for 2 hours or until the mixture is starting to freeze. After that use an electric hand whisk to whisk again, while it is still in the box. Re-freeze, then after a couple of hours repeat the whisking, this time adding the lemon syrup. Finally, lightly and evenly, fold in the meringue pieces, put the lid back on and freeze till needed. It will take a further 6-8 hours to freeze completely.
Visit DeliaOnline.com for more recipes from the programme.
Rate This Recipe