- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 30 mins resting
- Effort: medium
- 115 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml water
- butter, for frying
For the lemon curd:
- grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1 tbsp arrowroot, mixed with a little cold water
- 25 g butter
- 3 egg yolks
For the meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- 2 heaped tbsp caster sugar
- seeds from 1 vanilla pods
For the lemon syrup:
- juice of 2 lemons
- 50 g caster sugar
1. First make the pancake batter. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, add the egg, yolk and olive oil. Gradually beat in the milk and water to make a smooth batter. Rest the batter for 30 minutes in a refrigerator.
2. Meanwhile, make the lemon curd. Bring the lemon zest and juice to the boil in a small saucepan and mix in the arrowroot, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the yolks and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Remove the lemon curd from the heat and stir in the butter. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat a small, heavy-based frying pan. Add a small piece of butter and heat until melted. Pour in a ladleful of the pancake batter, tilting the frying pan to spread the batter evenly. Fry until set, then flip over the pancake and cook briefly for 1-2 more minutes before removing from the pan.
4. Repeat the process until all the batter has been used up.
5. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
6. Make the meringue mixture. Whisk the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Mix in the sugar and vanilla seeds and whisk for a further 2 minutes. Spoon into a piping bag with an ordinary nozzle.
7. Place the cooled lemon curd in a piping bag with an ordinary nozzle.
8. Pipe a line of lemon curd down the centre of a pancake, and then a line of meringue next to each line of lemon curd. Roll up the pancake over the lemon curd and meringue filling and place in a lightly greased ovenproof dish. Repeat the process until all the pancakes have been filled. Bake the pancakes for 5 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, make the lemon syrup. Heat together the lemon juice and sugar in a small pan, bring to the boil and boil until slightly thickened.
10. Serve the baked pancakes with the lemon syrup.
Rate This Recipe