- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 tinned anchovy fillets
- 100 g salted butter
- 1.7 kg chicken, whole
- 2 unwaxed lemons, quartered
- black pepper
For the vegetables
- 5 tbsp Italian olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thickly sliced
- 3 red peppers, cut into thick strips
- 2 large carrots, unpeeled, cut into thick chunks
- 2 large courgettes, thickly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, whole with the skin
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 300baby g new potatoes
- 200 g plum tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Finely chop the anchovies and place in a bowl with the melted butter - mix well.
2. Lift the skin off the chicken and spread the butter mixture between the skin and the flesh.
3. Stuff the chicken with the lemons and season with the salt and pepper.
4. Tie the chicken legs together with string. Place on a baking tray and roast in the bottom the oven for approximately 90 minutes, covering the chicken with kitchen foil for the first hour.
5. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a roasting tin and shallow fry the onion, peppers, carrots and courgettes for 2 minutes.
6. Add the garlic, rosemary and the potatoes, and fry for a further minute. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and cover the tray with foil.
7. Cook for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and add the tomatoes. Cook for a further 15 minutes, without the foil, until the vegetables are golden. Serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe