- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
- 1.8 kg chicken
- 2 large lemons
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the sweetcorn guacamole
- 1 large ripe medium avocado
- 1 lime, juice only
- 285 g sweetcorn
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
For the fat chips
- 675 g sweet potatoes, (or substitute ordinary potato)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- black pepper
- grated nutmeg
For the butter dip
- 85 g butter
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Using a sharp pair of scissors or a pair of poultry shears, cut down either side of the chicken's backbone. Open out the chicken and flatten on a board by pressing down with the heel of your hand.
3. Grate the lemon zest, cut the lemons in half and squeeze out the juice, reserving the lemon halves. Mix the lemon zest and juice with the oil and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Place the chicken in a large dish and pour the lemon marinade over. Tuck in the reserved lemon halves. Cover and chill for 1 hour, or longer if possible.
5. Lay the chicken in a roasting tin, skin side down and add the lemon marinade and lemon halves. Roast for about 45 minutes. Turn the chicken over, baste well with the juices and cook for a further 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked, golden and crisp.
6. To make the chips, scrub the potatoes and cut into fat chips.
7. Toss with the olive oil and soy sauce.
8. Transfer to a large roasting tin and season with the black pepper and grated nutmeg. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden and crisp.
9. For the sweetcorn guacamole, peel the avocado. Remove the stone and cut the flesh into 1cm dice. Place in a bowl and squeeze over the lime juice.
10. Add the remaining ingredients to the guacamole and season with a little salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
11. Meanwhile, place the butter, chilli, lime juice and lime zest in a small saucepan. Place over a low heat and heat very gently until the butter has melted and everything is well combined.
12. Place the chicken on a wooden board and serve it at the table, with the sweetcorn guacamole and roasted lemon halves. Serve with the sweet potato chips hot and the lime and chilli butter on the side.
Rate This Recipe