- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 2 hrs cooling
- Effort: easy
- 100 g sponge fingers
- 100 g orange curd, or lemon curd
- 3 tbsp limoncello liqueur
- 500 ml double cream
- 120 g caster sugar
- 100 ml lemon juice
- 250 ml whipping cream, or double cream
- 1 small orange, grated zest only
- crystallised violets
1. Break the sponge fingers in half and spread them thickly with the orange or lemon curd. Put them in a glass or china dish and sprinkle the Limoncello liqueur over them.
2. Pour the 500ml of cream into a saucepan and add the sugar. Bring to the boil over a moderate heat, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for a good 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice, then pour this mixture over the sponge fingers. They may bob about a bit in the lemon custard but just push them down and leave to cool. When the mixture has cooled, refrigerate for a couple of hours, or even overnight, until set.
4. To finish, whip the 250ml of cream until thick, but stop before it will stand in peaks. It should still be able to slide slowly from a spoon. Smooth the cream loosely over the trifle, then finely grate the orange zest over the top and add a few crystallised violets. Return briefly to the fridge until needed.
Rate This Recipe