- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, or light olive oil or butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 stems lemongrass, outer three layers removed and tender insides finely sliced (reserve the outer layers)
- 900 g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 55 g Puy lentils, (split peas)
- 1.2 litres lightvegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp fish sauce, or salt
For the purée
- 8 oysters, out of the shell, kept chilled
- slices ciabatta bread
- extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
1. Heat a heavy-based pan and add the avocado oil. Gently cook the leek, garlic, ginger and lemongrass until softened but not coloured.
2. Add the potatoes and lentils and turn the heat up to full, then cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Tie the reserved lemongrass trimmings into a bundle - or use a piece of J cloth to hold them all together as you would a bouquet garni. Add the stock and lemongrass trimmings to the pan and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
4. Remove the trimmings and purée the soup in a food processor or blender, seasoning with the fish sauce and extra salt if needed.
5. Purée the oysters in a food processor or blender until smooth and return to the fridge.
6. Toast the ciabatta slices on a griddle or in a toaster.
7. To serve: ladle the soup into hot bowls, then spoon in the oyster purée and drizzle with the olive oil. Serve with the ciabatta on the side and a lemon wedge for each bowl.
Rate This Recipe