- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 45 mins marinating
- Effort: easy
- 4 x 200g pomfret or john dory fillets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp lime juice
For the spice paste
- 175 g freshly grated coconut
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 6 green chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- slices of limes, to serve (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
These fish packages are traditionally wrapped in banana leaves before steaming. Not everyone can get hold of a bunch of these leaves - use greaseproof paper or aluminium foil instead.
About Farzana Contractor
From a Lucknowi Muslim family of traditional culinary tastes and married to a renowned restaurant critic, Farzana is an all-round foodie. Her tastebuds are further sharpened in her role as editor and photographer of UpperCrust, India's first food, wine and lifestyle magazine. Fazarna is also CEO of Afternoon Despatch & Courier, Bombay's popular tabloid newspaper. For more information visit her website: farzanacontractor.com
1. Using a sharp knife, make two horizontal slits across the fish fillets. Rub with salt and lime juice and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. For the spice paste: grind all the ingredients for the spice paste in a food processor until smooth. Spread a thick layer over each fish fillet (on both sides) and leave in a cool place for 15 minutes.
3. Wrap each fillet in a square of aluminium foil. Steam over boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
4. Unwrap the packages at the table and garnish with lime slices before serving.
Rate This Recipe