- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 350 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 225 g butter, cubed
- 100 g icing sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Lime tart filling:
- zest and juice of 8 limes, grated
- 350 g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 9 egg yolks
- 300 g butter, softened
For the Butterscotch sauce:
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 ml golden syrup
- 100 g dark brown sugar
- 100 ml double cream
- dashes of butterscotch schnapps
1. Make the pastry. In a food processor, pulse together the flour, salt and butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
2. Add the icing sugar and yolks and blend until the mixture comes together to form a ball of dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
4. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a greased 24cm loose-based flan tin. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and baking beans.
5. Bake the case blind for 15 minutes. Remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans. Brush with the beaten egg. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
6. Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the lime zest and juice, sugar, eggs and yolks in a heavy-based saucepan. Cook, whisking, over a medium heat until the sugar has melted.
7. Add half of the butter and cook stirring until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
8. Add the remaining butter and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very thick. Remove from direct heat and whisk until slightly cooled.
9. Pour the lime mixture into the pastry case. Place the tart in the oven and bake at 190ºC/gas 5 until set, around 8-10 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
10. Once the tart has reached room temperature make the butterscotch sauce. In a heavy-based saucepan, place together the caster sugar, golden syrup and dark brown sugar and cook stirring until the sugars have melted.
11. Bring to the boil. Remove from direct heat and whisk in the double cream and butterscotch schnapps.
12. Serve the tart with the butterscotch sauce.
Rate This Recipe