- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 3 hrs chilling plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 300 ml fresh lime juice
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 150 g sugar
- 100 g butter, chilled and diced
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the pastry:
- 250 g plain flour
- 125 g butter
- 15 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
For the passion fruit sauce:
- 10 passion fruit
- 150 g caster sugar
- knob of butter, (if needed)
1. First make the pastry. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Dice in the butter and rub in until absorbed. Mix in the sugar and salt. Break in the egg and bring together to form a pastry. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4. Roll out the pastry to 4mm thickness. Use the pastry to line a 24cm loose-based tart tin. Prick the base with a fork all over. Chill the pastry case for at least 3 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
4. Line the chilled pastry case with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and baking beans and bake the pastry case for 5-10 minutes to crisp up the pastry. Remove the pastry case from the oven, leaving the oven on.
5. Mix the arrowroot with a little of the lime juice in a bowl, then stir in the remaining lime juice.
6. Pour the lime juice mixture into a saucepan. Break in the eggs and the sugar, mixing thoroughly.
7. Cook over a very low heat, stirring constantly, until the lime and egg mixture begins to thicken. Beat in the butter and set aside to cool.
8. Fill the blind baked pastry case with the lime mixture.
9. Bake at 180ºC/gas 4 for 20 minutes. Do not overcook or the filling with curdle. Set aside to cool.
10. To make the passion fruit sauce, halve the passion fruits and scoop the pulp into a saucepan. Add the sugar and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
11. Pour the passion fruit sauce into a food processor using the plastic blade. Process for 1 minute. Pass the sauce through a sieve. Stir in a knob of butter if any scum appears on the surface. Chill the passion fruit sauce until serving.
12. To serve dust the tart with icing sugar and serve with the passion fruit sauce.
Rate This Recipe