- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sponge
- 200 g butter, room temperature
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, or 5 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Grated zest of one lemons
For the lemon curd layer
- 3 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 tbsp limoncello liqueur
For the mascarpone filling
- 250 g mascarpone
- 185 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp limoncello liqueur
- 150 g raspberries, lightly crushed
- Extra raspberries, and/or edible flowers, to finish
- icing sugar, for dusting
Tips and Suggestions
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan/Gas 4. Lightly oil and line two 20cm sandwich cake tins with parchment paper.
2. For the sponge: beat the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy this should take about 10 minutes if you use an electric mixer. Gradually add the eggs, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition, and increasing the speed as you go.
3. Sieve the flour with the baking powder and fold into the cake mixture.
4. Divide between the two prepared tins, making a slight hollow with a spatula in the middle of each one.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
6. Cool the cakes in their tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Leave to cool completely.
7. For the lemon curd layer: mix the lemon curd with the limoncello and use to spread over both layers of sponge.
8. For the mascarpone filling: in a separate bowl or food blender, combine the mascarpone cheese with the unwhipped cream, limoncello and sugar. Whisk everything together until smooth and then stir in the roughly crushed raspberries.
9. Spread the mascarpone raspberry cream over one of the cakes and top with the second sponge.
10. Finish with extra raspberries and/or flowers and a dusting of icing sugar.
Rate This Recipe