- Serves: Makes about 40
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus setting time
- Effort: easy
- 150 g blanched flaked almonds
- 200 g caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- 100 g butter
- 125 g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Cover 2 baking trays with parchment paper or non stick baking paper.
3. Place the almonds on a baking tray and toast for 3-4 minutes in the oven until golden. Watch them carefully.
4. Place sugar, water and butter in a heavy-based pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.
5. Bring to the boil, and boil uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown.
6. Remove from the heat and add the almonds. Stir gently to combine; do not over stir or the mixture will turn sugary.
7. Place 2 teaspoons of the mixture in heaps onto the parchment paper and flatten with the back of a wet spoon. If the mixture becomes too thick, return the pan to the heat for a few seconds.
8. Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the little almond brittles.
9. Allow the chocolate to set and then remove from the tray and serve. Alternatively wrap the brittles for gifts.
10. They will keep for a couple of weeks in an airtight container.
Rate This Recipe