- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the puddings
- 175 g pitted dates, finely chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250 g dairy free spread, such as Pure Sunflower Spread
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, made of 2 heaped tsp of Orgran No Egg Replacer mixed with 4 tbsp of water
- 175 g gluten free self-raising flour, such as Doves Farm Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the sauce
- 300 g muscovado light soft brown sugar
- 250 ml oat cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 6 and line 4, 3 inch round individual ramekins. In a large bowl combine the chopped dates and bicarbonate of soda, pour over 1/2 pint boiling water and leave to stand.
2. Cream 50g of the spread and sugar together (when using caster sugar, this always takes longer than you think) and then add the egg mixture, a bit at a time, beating well as you pour. Fold the flour and xantham gum in gently, and stir in the date mixture and vanilla extract until it is fully combined and you have a thick pudding batter.
3. Pour into the individual ramekins (reaching just under the rim), place on a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through (if unsure you can test with a skewer or cocktail stick - pierce the centre of the pudding, if the skewer comes out clean then the pudding is ready).
4. For the sauce: combine the remaining 200g of the spread and the muscovado sugar in a small saucepan. Melt them together, stirring continuously over a medium heat until fully combined, smooth and glossy. Pour in the oat cream and heat over a very low simmer for 5 minutes, ensuring that the oat cream does not split.
5. When the puddings are cooked, remove from the oven and leave for a few minutes in their tins. Run a sharp knife around the outside rim of each pudding and carefully tip out on to their serving plates. Pour a portion of the toffee sauce over the sticky toffee pudding and serve while hot.
Recipe supplied by The Intolerant Gourmet
Rate This Recipe