- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg live lobster
- large pan of fish stock
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200 g risotto rice
- 1 litres lobster stock
- zest of 1/2 cumbava
- 2 slices of dried cured ham
- 1 tbsp whipped cream
- crispy fried onions, to serve (optional)
1. Two hours before cooking the lobster, place it into a deep freezer set at -20°C and leave for 2 hours. According to guidelines set out by the RSPCA, and in accordance with research carried out by the University Federation of Animal Welfare, this is the most humane way to dispatch a live lobster.
2. When you are ready to cook the lobster, bring a large pan of fish stock to the boil and add the lobster. Boil for 25 minutes. Remove the lobster and immediately plunge it into a large bowl of iced water to stop the cooking. Reserve the lobster flavoured stock for the risotto.
3. Melt half the butter in a frying pan and add the chopped onion. Add the rice and stir until coated in butter. Pour in all but 3 tablespoons of the lobster flavoured stock and cook very slowly for 40-45 minutes until all the stock is absorbed.
4. Meanwhile, remove the meat from the lobster. Twist off the large claws and pull away the legs. Take a lobster cracker or large heavy handled knife and give the claws a whack to expose the claw meat (a small hammer, nutcracker, or even a restrained bash with a rolling pan will also do a good enough job). Do the same with the legs.
5. Cut the lobster in half lengthways. Remove the stomach sac and the black intestine running down the tail section, and discard them immediately. Keep the creamy green bit, this is the liver and is quite delicious. Pick out the remaining meat and cut it into bite-sized chunks.
6. In a separate pan, melt the remaining butter and gently fry the lobster meat. Add the cumbava zest.
7. Spoon the risotto into a serving dish; place the lobster and ham on top.
8. Make a sauce by heating the remaining lobster stock and whipped cream together, stirring until smooth. Spoon over the risotto, garnish with crispy friend onions and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe