- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the lobster
- 1 x 500g lobster, freshly cooked
- 250 g dried spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 ripe vine tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed and diced
- 1 small bunch basil, leaves shredded
For the crisp fennel shavings
- 1/2 fennel
- plain flour, pinch of salt added
- vegetable oil, or sunflower, for deep frying
For the lobster cream sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- shells from lobster, claws and tails, broken into small pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 small bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 250 ml fresh fish stock
1. Remove the lobster meat from the body and claws, and keep warm in a little of the cooking liquid to prevent it from drying out
2. Bring a large saucepan of heavily salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente.
3. For the crisp fennel shavings: slice the fennel into very fine strips, using a mandolin if you have one. Pat dry with kitchen paper and toss in the seasoned flour.
4. Heat the oil in a wok until it is shimmering. Add the fennel shavings a few at a time and fry briefly until light golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and season with salt.
5. For the lobster cream sauce: heat the oil and butter in a hot pan and add the lobster shells. Cook on a high heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the vegetables. Cook for a few minutes until softened before adding the tomato puree. Cook for a couple of minutes then deglaze the pan with the brandy.
6. Cook until the brandy has almost evaporated then add the stock and simmer until reduced by a third.
7. Strain through a fine sieve into another pan, bring to the boil and add the cream. Season with salt to taste and simmer for a couple of minutes.
8. For the lobster: Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Cut the lobster meat into bite size pieces or small medallions and add to the pan along with the garlic and chilli.
9. Fry for a few minutes to heat through, then add the diced tomatoes. Cook for a minute then add the lobster cream sauce.
10. Bring to the boil and add the cooked spaghetti and basil. Toss in the pan then serve between two plates. Scatter over the crisp fennel shavings and serve.
Rate This Recipe