- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 1 live lobster, around 750g
- 75 g butter
- ½ leeks, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 300 ml champagne
- 300 ml fresh fish stock
- 800 ml double cream
- 1 bunch of chives, sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 25 g caviar
- 100 g emmental cheese, grated
Tips and Suggestions
This recipe contains lightly cooked egg. Raw or lightly cooked eggs should not be served to young children, elderly people, invalids and pregnant women because of the risk of salmonella poisoning.
In accordance with RSPCA guidelines and the recommendation of the University Federation of Animal Welfare, the most humane way to dispatch a live lobster is to put it into the freezer at -20°C for at least two hours before cooking.
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add in the lobster and bring back to the boil and simmer for 8 minutes, then remove the lobster and set aside to cool.
2. Once the lobster has cooled, twist off the larger claw arms and legs. Break the claw arms apart at the joints and crack the shell using the back of a knife blade or a hammer. Remove and reserve the lobster meat from inside the claw arms and legs.
3. Cut the lobster in half lengthways. Lift out and discard the intestinal tract running down the centre. Remove and reserve the tail meat, cutting it into chunks.
4. Remove the soft greenish liver (called the tomalley) and any red roe from the head or tail and reserve. Clean and reserve the lobster shell halves.
5. Heat the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add in the leek and shallot and fry gently until softened.
6. Add in the champagne and fish stock and cook briskly until reduced by a third. Add in 400ml of double cream and cook briskly until reduced by a third. Season with salt, mix in the chives and set aside to cool.
7. Whisk the remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in the egg yolk.
8. Fold the cream and yolk mixture into the cooled sauce. Fold in the caviar and the Emmental cheese.
9. Fold the reserved lobster meat into the champagne sauce. Spoon the lobster mixture into the reserved lobster shells.
10. Preheat the grill until very hot. Grill the filled lobster shells for 2 minutes until golden brown and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe