- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 150 ml water
- 225 g sugar
- 5 small shallots, peeled
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 three-boned rack of lamb, trimmed
- black pepper
- 25 g butter
For the Madeira sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large shallots, sliced
- 225 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 sprig thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 150 ml red wine
- 300 ml madeira
- 300 ml lamb or chicken stock
- black pepper
For the mint pesto:
- 225 g pine kernels
- 225 g fresh mint, leaves picked
- 115 g parmesan, grated
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- black pepper
- 300 ml olive oil
1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the tomato slices and fry until golden brown.
2. Remove the fried tomato. De-glaze the pan with a third of a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Add the aubergine slices and fry them until golden brown. Remove the fried aubergine. De-glaze the pan once more with another third of a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Add the courgette slices and fry until golden brown.
3. Once all the vegetables are fried arrange them on a sheet of silicone paper in a rosette pattern, overlapping the vegetable slices, and place on a baking tray.
4. Next caramelise the shallots by bringing to the boil the water and sugar in a saucepan. Add the shallots and simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Heat the vegetable oil for deep-frying in a saucepan. Add the potato cubes until golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
6. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
7. Season the lamb with salt and freshly ground pepper and coat it with the remaining olive oil and the butter. Place in a roasting tray and roast for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest, keeping warm.
8. While the lamb is roasting make the Madeira sauce. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the shallots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and rosemary and fry until they become dark and caramelised.
9. Pour in the red wine and Madeira, bring to the boil and cook briskly until reduced to a syrup.
10. Add the stock, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, bring to the boil and cook briskly until reduced by half, then pass through a sieve.
11. Once the lamb has been removed from the oven to rest, bake the fried vegetable 'pizza' in the oven until heated through, around 4 minutes.
12. To make the mint pesto, place the pine nuts, mint, Parmesan, lemon juice, sugar, salt, freshly ground pepper and olive oil in a food processor. Process into a paste.
13. To serve place the aubergine and tomato pizza on a warm serving plate. Top with the roast lamb and arrange the deep-fried potatoes and caramelised shallots around the edge of the plate. Finally drizzle them with mint pesto and Madeira sauce. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe