- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: including 12 hours for the stock
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
For the veal stock
- 5 kg veal bones
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic
- 200 g celery, roughly chopped
- small sprig thyme
For the demi glace sauce
- 100 ml dark veal jus, <P> </P>
- 100 ml red wine
- 100baby g onions, peeled
- 100 g pancetta lardons
- 2 tsp butter
For the lamb
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 500 g lamb loin
- small bunch thyme, leaves only
- 2 large onions
- black pepper
For the mashed potatoes
- 400 g potatoes, peeled
- 20 g butter
- 25 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1. For the stock, preheat the oven to 220C/gas 8
2. Roast the bones for 1 hour, until a deep russet brown.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Cut 2 of the onions in half, keeping the skin on. Fry for 10 minutes, until dark brown.
4. Put the bones, onions, carrots, leeks, garlic, celery and thyme into a large casserole pan, cover with water and simmer for 8-12 hours. If you prefer, you can put the casserole pan in the oven on its lowest setting, and let it cook.
5. Strain this stock through a metal sieve - this is known as a basic veal jus.
6. For the demi glace, reduce the veal stock by half over a high heat.
7. Add the wine and onions to the pan and cook down until reduced by two thirds.
8. Add the pancetta lardons and reduce by a further one-third. Season to taste, and stir in the butter.
9. For the lamb, preheat the oven to 220C/gas 8. Rub the oil over the lamb and sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and roast for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes. If you prefer a more well-cooked flavour, give the lamb an extra 5 minutes in the oven.
10. For the potatoes, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, before draining and mashing. Beat in the butter, cream and herbs.
11. Spoon the mash onto two heated dinner plates and top with the meat. Spoon over the sauce and serve.
Rate This Recipe