- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 120 ml vegetable oil, plus vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 kg medium potatoes, eeled and cut into chips
- 1 kg rump steaks, thinly sliced against the grain
- 500 g sliced red onions
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 500 g tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced lengthwise in six
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- boiled rice, for serving
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- pinch of ground cumin
- pinch of ground coriander
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1. First make the sauce. Mix together the garlic, chilli, soy sauce, cumin, coriander and sherry vinegar and set aside to rest for 1 hour.
2. Heat vegetable oil for deep-frying in a deep fat-fryer. Add in the chipped potatoes and fry until crisp and golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
3. Heat 60ml of vegetable oil in a wok. Add in the steak and stir-fry until cooked, remove from the wok and keep warm.
4. Add the remaining vegetable oil and heat through. Add in the red onion and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add in the yellow pepper and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add in the tomatoes, mixing well, and cook for 1 minute. Add in the sauce, stir-fried beef and chips and mix well. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Sprinkle with the coriander and mint and serve at once with plain boiled rice.
Rate This Recipe