- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chicken
- 4 boneless fillets chicken thighs, skin removed and halved
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp light superior soy sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- dash West Indian hot pepper sauce
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- pinches cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- half a small pack of Ritz Cracker biscuits, crushed
- ½ tbsp groundnut oil or corn oil
For the rice
- cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ onions, diced
- dashes of groundnut oil
- 100 g cubed pancetta or finely sliced smoked bacon
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- sprinkle dried thyme
- 50 g coconut cream
- 200 g black-eyed beans, cooked
- handfuls okra, diced
- 185 g easy cook American long grain rice
- 375 g chicken stock
1. For the chicken: preheat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease a heavy-bottomed roasting pan with oil and place in the middle shelf. In a large glass bowl, marinade chicken in lime juice, soya sauce, 1 teaspoon of the garlic powder, hot pepper sauce and salt and ground black pepper.
2. Take three shallow bowls and spread them out in line. In bowl one, combine flour, remaining garlic powder, sweet paprika, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the egg in bowl two and crackers in bowl three.
3. Remove warm pan from oven and set aside. Using tongs, pick up each piece of marinated chicken and coat in bowl one mix, then bowl two and finally bowl three. Place crumb-coated chicken fillets in pan leaving space between each one and cook for 40 minutes, turning halfway through. Meanwhile, make the rice.
4. For the Guyanese rice: In a saucepan, sweat garlic and onion in groundnut oil on a low heat. Add pancetta or bacon and cook through. Season with pepper sauce, thyme and salt and ground black pepper, then add creamed coconut. Stir until cream is absorbed.
5. Add black-eyed peas and okra. When greens have softened, add rice and stock; turn up heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pan with lid and leave until rice is cooked.
6. To serve: Heap rice into centre of each plate and top with two chicken fillets.
Rate This Recipe