- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: easy
- 55 g reduced fat spread
- 140 g light digestive biscuits, crushed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 405 g can light condensed milk, such as Carnation
- 3 limes, finely grated zest and juice only
- 85 g caster sugar
Tips and Suggestions
If youre not a fan of digestives, you can use any biscuits you like try gingernuts or shortbread. You can crush the biscuits in a blender, or put them in a double lined food bag and bash with a rolling pin.
1. Melt the margarine and add to the crushed biscuits, tip into an 18cm flan or cake tin to form an even base. Chill for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C/gas 4.
3. Beat the egg yolks together with the condensed milk for 1 minute then stir in the lime zest and juice.
4. Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and bake for 15-20 minutes until set.
5. Leave to cool then remove from the tin and transfer the pie onto a baking sheet. You can just put the meringue on top in the tin without transferring it first but it makes it look prettier if you remove it from the tin first.
6. With a clean whisk, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks then fold in the caster sugar. Pile the meringue onto the pie and spread out, making peaks as you go.
7. Bake for a further 5-6 minutes until browned.
8. Leave to cool or chill before serving.
Rate This Recipe