- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 3-4 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 250 ml red wine
- 150 g cherries
- 115 g sour dried cherries
- 8 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 40 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 125 ml sherry vinegar
- 8 tsp membrillo (quince cheese)
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 x 750g piece of bacon, with rind
Tips and Suggestions
"Although braised bacon is traditionally a rather frugal meal," says Kylie, "I've made it luscious by using the finest organic bacon and adding red wine and cherries. With its beautiful pink meat and a rich, deep-red sauce, this dish is ideal for any celebration. The rind is best left on the bacon during cooking, to keep the meat moist and succulent, but you can remove it before slicing and serving, if you prefer. Dried sour cherries and quince paste are available from good delicatessens."
1. Place the red wine, cherries, sour cherries, sugar, salt, olive oil, garlic, sherry vinegar, quince paste and bay leaves in a large bowl.
2. Add bacon and toss well to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C/gas 6.
4. Transfer bacon to a roasting tin and pour over the marinade.
5. Cover with foil and bake, for 35 minutes, then remove foil and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until bacon is cooked through.
6. Slice the bacon, arrange on a platter and spoon over the cherries, bay leaves and pan juices.
Rate This Recipe