- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1.0833333333333333 hours 5 minutes - 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 900 g baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 55 g butter
- 150 ml cream
- grated nutmeg
For the white sauce:
- 85 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 570 ml milk
- 150 ml single cream
- large bunch of parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
- black pepper
For the filling:
- 225 g haddock fillets, skinned and boned
- 450 g salmon tail piece, skinned and boned
- black pepper
- lemon juice, to taste
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and quartered
1. First make the potato topping. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling, salted water until tender; drain and mash. Add the butter and cream and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Mix well until absolutely smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required and set to one side.
2. Heat the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a very low heat. Add the flour and cook this mixture, without browning for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Mix the milk and cream into the flour mixture and cook for a further 5 to 6 minutes. Then add the chopped parsley and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6 and generously butter a deep ovenproof dish.
5. Cut the raw haddock and salmon into pieces and lay in the dish, season lightly and add a little lemon juice.
6. Pour the hot parsley sauce over the top, place the boiled eggs evenly over the sauce and spoon over an even layer of the mashed potato.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes by which time the top should be crisp and brown and the fish perfectly cooked in the sauce. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe