- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: easy
- 500 ml water
- 220 g caster sugar
- 900 g lychees
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 egg whites
1. Bring the water and sugar to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the mixture is light, syrupy and reduced by one-third. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
2. Peel the lychees, and remove the stones over the pan of sugar syrup, so that the juices fall into the saucepan. Add the fruit to the pan.
3. Add the rose water and lime juice, and set aside to cool.
4. Process the fruit and syrup in a liquidiser until smooth. Add the egg whites and blitz again. Strain through a sieve into a bowl.
5. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen - about 20 minutes (alternatively, place in a freezer-proof container and freeze, beating at regular intervals to break up any ice crystals). Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving, this softens the texture.
Rate This Recipe