- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling time
- Effort: easy
- 1 mackerel, filleted, pin bones removed
- 1 small baguette
- olive oil, for drizzling
For the potato salad
- 200 g new potatoes
- 2 lemons
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- salt and black pepper
1. For the potato salad: trim the tops and tails from the potatoes and slice them 1cm thick. Cook in boiling salted water until just tender.
2. Meanwhile zest one of the lemons and remove the juice from both. Place in a medium bowl with the chilli. Gradually whisk in the olive oil and season.
3. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and immediately toss the slices in the lemon vinaigrette. Set aside to cool. Once cool, add the chopped coriander and adjust the seasoning to taste.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Slice the baguette in half horizontally. Drizzle with olive oil and toast in oven until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
5. Heat a frying pan over a high heat until smoking. Brush the mackerel fillets with olive oil then place them in the pan skin-side down and sear until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn the fish over and finish cooking for about a minute.
Rate This Recipe