- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 slices of French stick, about 2.5cm thick
- olive oil, for grilling
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 2 plum tomatoes
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 mackerel fillet, halved
For the hollandaise sauce (sufficient for 4 servings):
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 6 basil
1. Brush the slices of French stick with olive oil and chargrill on both sides. Rub each side with garlic and set aside.
2. Season the tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and chargrill for 30 seconds on both sides. Layer the tomato over the bread and sprinkle with the chopped shallots.
3. Drizzle the mackerel with olive oil, season and place in a grill pan.
4. To make the hollandaise sauce, first clarify the butter by melting gently in a saucepan or microwave, then spoon or pour the clear butter off from the milky residue and set aside.
5. Using a bain-marie, or a bowl set over a pan of boiling water, whisk together the egg yolks and vinegar until they reach a thick and creamy consistency. Slowly add the melted butter with one hand while whisking quickly with the other, until the butter is thoroughly incorporated. Season to taste, add the basil, cover with cling film and keep warm (but not hot, or there is a danger of the sauce splitting).
6. Grill the mackerel under a preheated hot grill for 6 minutes.
7. To serve, place one piece of mackerel on top of each tomato-topped crostini, and spoon over a generous helping of hollandaise.
Rate This Recipe