- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 sheets ready-to-roll puff pastry, (approx 350g weight)
- 2 large mackerel, filleted
- rock salt
- a handful of herbs, (parsley, dill, coriander, as preferred; spinach also works well), chopped
- juice of 1 lemons
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Divide the pastry into two rectangles, and roll these out so each is large enough to be wrapped round two mackerel fillets.
3. Beat the egg with the water to make egg wash, and brush the centre of each rectangle of pastry with the wash, leaving edges free of wash to allow them to seal effectively.
4. Lay a fillet in the centre of one pastry rectangle, season with rock salt, cover with half the herbs and half the lemon juice, then place the second fillet on top. Repeat with the rest of the fish and the second pastry rectangle.
5. Wrap the pastry up rather like a sausage roll and seal the edges firmly. Place the parcels on a baking sheet, brush each parcel with egg wash and sprinkle some rock salt on top. Bake for 10 minutes. Cut in half to serve, hot.
Rate This Recipe