- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 very fresh mackerel, leaned, skinned and finely diced
- 6 spring onions, hite and light green parts, finely diced
- ¼ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and finely diced
- sea salt, and freshly ground white pepper
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 ripe avocados, (ideally Haas)
- juice of ½ lemons
- cayenne pepper, to garnish
Tips and Suggestions
Make sure you use the freshest mackerel possible for this recipe
1. In a bowl, gently mix the diced mackerel with the spring onion, cucumber, sea salt and freshly ground white pepper.
2. In another bowl whisk the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic and sesame oil until well-emulsified.
3. Add to the mackerel mixture and toss to dress well.
4. Halve the avocado, discard the stone and scoop out the avocado flesh into a bowl. Add in the lemon juice and mash together well, seasoning with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper.
5. Divide the mackerel mixture among 4 small ring moulds, placed on 4 serving plates.
6. Garnish each serving with a quenelle of avocado and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Rate This Recipe