- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the mackerel skewers
- 3-4 spring onions
- mackerel, filleted and pin boned
- mint leaves
- wedges of limes
For the teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp grated ginger, optional
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1. Preheat a barbecue until very hot.
2. To make the teriyaki sauce, mix the soy sauce and rice wine with the sugar and stir to dissolve. If you want an extra kick, add gated ginger and red chilli to taste.
3. Chop the spring onion into 4cm lengths and thread onto two skewers with the pieces of mackerel. Folding each piece if mackerel in half so the skewer goes through it twice will help them stay on.
4. Baste the skewers with the teriyaki sauce and put onto the barbecue the hotter the better as this will stop the fish sticking to the grill. Continue to baste the fish with the sauce as it cooks. They should take 3-5 minutes to cook, turning once. The marinade will crisp leaving the fish underneath succulent.
5. Serve the mackerel skewers with fresh mint and wedges of lime on the side.
Rate This Recipe