- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 cooling and 1 hr marinating
- Effort: medium
- 50 ml thin soy sauce
- 50 ml mirin
- grated zest and juice of 1 oranges
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 4 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 2 mackerel, cleaned and filleted
- 8 chives, to garnish
For the sesame onion rings:
- 1 onion, cut into 8 rings
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp panko Japanese breadcrumbs, (substituting dry breadcrumbs, if Panko unavailable)
- 10 g black sesame seeds
- 10 g white sesame seeds
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- mixed salad leaves, dressed with your favourite vinaigrette, to serve
1. First prepare the mackerel teriyaki.
2. Place the soy sauce, mirin, orange zest and juice, honey, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan.
3. Bring to boil and slowly simmer until the sauce has reduced by roughly half and has achieved a syrupy consistency, around 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
4. Pour the sauce into a shallow dish, add in the mackerel fillets, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. Just before serving, prepare the sesame onion rings. Dredge the onion rings in the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs and the black and white sesame seeds, coating well.
6. Heat a deep fat-fryer with vegetable oil until hot. Deep-fry the onion rings until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes, remove from the oil, drain on kitchen paper and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
7. Remove the marinated mackerel, setting them to one side, pour the teriyaki sauce into a pan and bring to the boil.
8. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick griddle pan until hot. Griddle the mackerel fillets for 1 minute per side, brushing with a little of the hot teriyaki sauce as it cooks to glaze it.
9. To serve, place two onions rings on top of each other and fill the cavity with a portion of dressed salad leaves.
10. Spoon the reserved teriyaki sauce next to the onion rings, top with a griddled mackerel fillet on top and garnish with 2 chives.
11. Repeat the process, making 4 servings in all, and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe